Name:
Location: Central Texas

I'm tired.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Denial

I think this is going to be the year of Not Trying So Hard.

At first, the idea of making a Cleopatra costume seemed simple. . . deceptively simple. Because once I got MY hands on it, I couldn't just use a stiffened piece of fabric with sparkly paints on it to make one of her spectacular beaded collars. No, I had to set out to find the beads and other stuff needed to make an ACTUAL spectacular beaded collar. Nevermind that I can buy one on ebay for $6. See, there's a major disconnect in my head. Let me illustrate it thusly:

This is what I WANT:

And THIS is what I can BUY:
No, no, no, no, no no nononononononoooooooo! Now, while I wail about the intense cheesiness of this one, let there be no doubt that the Girl would probably swoon over it. I cannot let this happen.

But do I really need to be the mother who handcrafts every single thing her kid wears on Halloween? I mean, I'm getting to the point where I have to ask, "Does she really NEED actual Egyptian linen? Are scarab beads and an enameled pectoral pendant imperative?" And really? the answer is no.

I can still make parts of it, and I will, but I will also be buying some pieces in the interest of my own continuing sanity and the saving of the hours that I would undoubtedly spend making a costume to be worn one time and then relegated to the costume box under the bed. I may no longer be the Coolest Mom on the Block, but I tell you what, I'll be the Mom Who Isn't Completely Insane.

For once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home