Name:
Location: Central Texas

I'm tired.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

June sucks, I find.

Mom went into hospice care today, at a place called Christopher House. The way it has all been laid out for me, she'll be there maybe 4 days, and then when she's stabilized, she'll go back to her nursing home, where she'll receive hospice services from a different organization than the one that runs Christopher House.

In all honesty, I'm not sure I see her making it to 2010, which would really be a blessing for her. Many years ago, I remember her telling me that she didn't want to be kept alive with machines. We aren't exactly there yet, but we have gotten to a point where we're using technology to make it easier for her to stay alive, if that make sense. I think if we took her off the oxygen and antibiotics and pain medications and psychotropics, she would remain alive, but for less time. I also remember her on a few occasions saying, "If I ever get Alzheimer's, just take me out back and shoot me." That kind of decision is quickly coming for me, I think. I know what she wants. And I know what I'll do, and I hope she'll be proud of me for that one last time, doing what she wants.

Because really, isn't that what all moms want? According to the Girl, I want her to be my servant. If only. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home