Name:
Location: Central Texas

I'm tired.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It begins

Monday I start (FINALLY) the second half of my studies that will gain my entrance into whatever place they're giving the state boards next year. What this means, in a nutshell, is that I'm going to have to relearn everything I already learned and then forgot.

Oh, there are things I'll remember. I'll remember which bone is the ulna (provided I see it alone, without the animal that usually surrounds it.) I'll remember the sequence when developing dental x-rays is: water, developer--30 seconds, water, fixer--45 seconds, water. I'll remember about the invisible pocket of air that surrounds a sterile field. I'll remember that one doctor at the practice doesn't like her surgery packs in a tray. I'll remember to clamp off IV lines BEFORE I uncap them. You know, stuff like that.

Will I remember what an erythrocyte looks like? Not bloody likely.

There's a 50% chance I could find coccidia on a fecal slide if it's actually present. Given enough time and an unlimited supply of needles, I could get blood from a dog. I excel at catching urine with a plastic ladle, and I have felt the inside of a butthole, but NOT, unfortunately, a full anal gland.

So, knowing what I do and don't know, I often ask myself, "Self, is it even remotely possible you could someday work in emergency and critical care?" (Because that's what I want to do.)

Seems like with my temperament, I'd end up with a permanent neckache. Hell, I have that already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home