Name:
Location: Central Texas

I'm tired.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why yes, I believe I will, thank you.

Having finally succumbed to the sneaking suspicion that my inability to sleep through a whole night wasn't going to just somehow END, I allowed my doctor's assistant to prescribe Ambien, which then gave me two of the most lovely nights of sleep in many, many years.

And me being me, I looked up Ambien on the interweb, because that's what I do (much to the chagrin of just about everybody who knows me.) Anyone in the know (which includes the company that MAKES Ambien) says it is a short-term drug, that should be used for a few weeks, tops. And here I was planning to take it every night for the rest of my natural life. I had actual energy those two days after those two nights. I wasn't yawning every 10 minutes. I have a clean-ass kitchen, because I was able to sustain my momentum long enough to clean it.

So I conducted an experiment. Last night, I went to bed without Ambien, and woke up roughly every hour like I usually do, although this time, I had trouble even GETTING to sleep, which is unusual for me. They say that this "rebound insomnia" happens when you take Ambien and then don't. But wouldn't that imply that after a day or two, you'd get back to your regular sleep patterns? And what if your sleep patterns sucked balls to begin with? What if your sleep patterns were such that YOU NEEDED TO TAKE AMBIEN? I took a nap in the middle of the day.

Big, hairy, rat turds.

Yes, there's a potential for addiction. If you take them long enough, they're supposed to lose their effectiveness. So the question for me tonight, is: should I take one, or no? Let me weigh the options. If they can be taken for a few weeks "as directed" then I at least have 12 more nights of actual sleep coming to me. If I take them as long as I want, I may end up on a particularly pathetic episode of "Intervention."

Sleep is so important. Also, I like it. And so tonight I will take a pill, and I will sleep and I will be happy tomorrow, when the Girl and I are supposed to go swimming in the pool that did NOT get pooped in today, (that would be the Blue Valley pool, by the way,) and I will worry about my impending drug addiction later.

Because denial is a powerful and effective weapon!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home