Name:
Location: Central Texas

I'm tired.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Staring down the beast

Perhaps "beast" isn't the most appropriate word for Christmas, and it really does make it sound as if I'm not looking forward to it, which is completely untrue--it is my FAVORITE holiday--but I worry about the girl, who it seems is narrowly avoiding an aneurysm each day when she figures out how many more days it is until THE BIG DAY. Tell me, is it possible to teach a 5-year-old about how good it feels to GIVE?

Our big plan for Christmas day (and these plans were made with the girl's consent and even enthusiasm) are to get up around 6 a.m., drive down to the staging area for Mobile Loaves and Fishes, and go with one of the trucks to feed breakfast to the homeless downtown BEFORE opening gifts. I am hoping to convince Zach to bake muffins while we're gone. Being a godless heathen, he's staying home.

I've told a few people that a week or so ago, the sheer number of gifts for the girl under the tree actually embarassed me. The only saving grace is that they're not all from me, and the things that ARE from me are fairly educational. (Well, for the most part.) No Barbies, no My Little Ponies, no princesses. There are at least 4 different science kits, tons of books, lots of clothes and at least 3 music CDs. On the other hand, I also gave her a kit with hair products and another with lip gloss and glitter. With any luck, we'll end up with an astrophysicist who knows how to look good. I'm beginning to think that next year, we will all have to limit the number of gifts she is able to receive for the holidays, although buying them is one of the highlights of my year. Maybe I'll set up a system whereby really worthy good deeds done throughout the year earn her extra gifts on a base amount. I don't know. It just seems excessive. I don't want her growing up thinking she can have anything and everything she wants just because. Along those lines, we've given her her first chore to be done on a regular basis that doesn't bring with it a reward like an allowance--it is simply something that needs to be done, and she's the one to do it. She is now in charge of emptying the silverware rack from the dishwasher. Thus far, she's quite good at it. When she gets used to having a regular chore, we'll add another. I'm thinking pressure-washing the house.

I really surprised her this morning, I think. She was wailing and crying because she had to help me clean the house, and she says, "I HATE cleaning!" My response? "Me, too! I hate, hate, HATE cleaning! It's HORRIBLE!" That brought her up for a moment, and she asked me how I did it without yelling and crying. I had to tell her that I honestly didn't know, but that it was probably ONLY that I'm an adult and have a bit more control over myself. I think it was good for her to hear that there are things I loathe, too, but then see me do them anyway.

Have I mentioned that being a mom is so much easier when you're on the correct drug dosages?

I'm gonna go see if I can figure out how to post a video on here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home