Name:
Location: Central Texas

I'm tired.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Satan has icicles on his butt

Yes, hell has indeed frozen over. You all will have a new appreciation for the wonders and weirdnesses this world has when I tell you that, when this semester is over for me (which is on November 16th,) I will take some time to CLEAN MY WHOLE HOUSE.

Because I, the kid/girl/woman who has never once cleaned anything on purpose, I have become disgusted with that has happened to this place in the past 10.5 weeks, since school started. To say I've had little time to do anything but study is an understatement. Zoe is lucky she's still alive, that I've had the time to feed her. Zach and I are reduced to writing notes to each other to communicate. I'm making myself sick with the stress (literally!) and ended up crying in the bathroom at work the other day. I've gained 15 pounds (don't most people LOSE weight when their guts are all tangled up? Not me. . . lucky!)

But I'm beginning to know what I'm doing. (And it only took 3.5 years!) I can run a urinalysis, test for heartworm, do fecal floats and smears (yes, they're as fun as they sound!) I can prepare a dog for surgery, draw blood from the teensy vein on a cat's back leg, and put in an IV catheter. I can recover animals coming out of surgery, and run/monitor anesthesia for those still in it. I can administer IV, IM and SC injections and take radiographs of any body part there is. I can develop the films. I can differentiate one leukocyte from another, and do an absolute count from a blood smear. And tomorrow, I'm going to intubate for the first time.

The question on everyone's mind at this point should be, "Is it worth it?"

Is it? There are days I would have said "Hell, no." But I'd be lying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home